The brimmed chapeaux has always proved itself a dashing accessory for leading men. (Exhibit A: Humphrey Bogart in “Casablanca.”) But what about us ladies? Enter: Albertus Swanepoel x Vanities for Barneys CO-OP.
This exclusive, vintage-inspired collection features seven one-of-a-kind hats hand-blocked by renowned milliner Albertus Swanepoel and finished with artful details by jewelry designers Franc Thomas and Vincent Ribat of St. Tropez-based Vanities. (The name Vanities stems from the pair’s fascination with Renaissance-era vanitas paintings, in which the symbol of a skull is often used to represent the brevity of life.)
“I love their work,” says Swanepoel of Thomas and Ribat. “The attention to detail, the slightly dark edge and sophisticated air it beholds. The contrast between the vintage felts and the modernity of the trims works very well.”
We couldn’t agree more. These hats impart a style both timeless and de rigueur, and there are just seven of them so we suggest getting your hands on one before it’s too late. They’re available exclusively at the Barneys New York flagship on Madison Avenue—and they’re going fast.
1. The bowler style Tie hat offers up a blend between uptown prep and downtown hipster.
2. Channel timeless perfection with the old-fashioned Speckle topper.
3. A military-inspired bow is the tough talking point of the Camo chapeaux.
4. The Bow hat is designed in the classic cloche style for some cultured elegance.
5. Feeling both retro and rebellious? Pick up the Boater hat.
6. Take a walk on the wild side with the Claw hat.
7. Nautical accents and thick felt add a rugged touch to the Rope hat.
- Alisha Prakash