World, meet the multi-talented and invariably stylin’ Barneys New York personal shoppers.
We could go on at length about their virtues (Editing! Trend analysis! Wardrobe crisis management!), but instead we’ll pass the mic and let the talented team speak for itself. We’ve asked them to share recommendations for three key pieces to add maximum impact to your wardrobe this fall, as well as tell us about the designers they’re most excited to introduce you to.
Without further ado…
AGNES’S PICKS FOR MAKING A SPLASH THIS FALL
1. I adore Connor Stationery! I especially love the Diana Vreeland special edition card set. In our age of email communications, it speaks volumes to send a warm and special handwritten note as a correspondence. There is a greater sense of importance to your words when they are written by your own hand. I think that everyone should own something that is truly one of a kind and custom made and their bespoke stationery elegantly fills that need.
2. I love having a piece of jewelry that makes such a strong fashion statement on it’s own that it can be paired with a very clean, chic outfit. These Irene Neuwirth boulder opal and diamond earrings would look amazing with Chloe’s peach sleeveless shift dress.
3. Manolo! Eternally fabulous. I can always count on him to help complete a look. These sexy suede BB pumps in emerald green work so well with many of the new fall colors and styles. I would pair these with a pair of Rag & Bone skinny jeans or skinny cords for a fun night out.
The Row: All of their knitwear is so wearable and their luxurious leather jackets and coats are modern yet classic. And Celine: I love the green suede dress for both day and evening. And I’m always drawn to Azzedine Alaia‘s feminine and flattering creations. The ink blue shearling motorcycle jacket is a particular favorite of mine this season—fun and chic.
And for men this season, I like to put a man in a suit that has modern, clean lines but with luxurious traditional fabrics. Isaia and Brioni both have an updated old world quality to them and Andrea Campagna’s hand stitched suiting is just incredible. His suits are true luxe.
email@example.com | (212) 833-2101
* * *
1. The leather one-button blazer by Boy. by Band of Outsiders: I love that this is a classic men’s blue blazer done in a really modern way in navy leather.
2. Every woman needs a clutch in her life. This one by Valextra can be put in your bag at work to hold your cell phone and lipstick then brought out for dinner or cocktails. Skins are also really important for fall 2012 and this is an unusual color for alligator.
3. These Nak Armstrong earrings can be worn with jeans and a blazer or with a dress for cocktails. They have an organic quality to them which is a perfect balance to the constructed items this fall.
I am really excited about the menswear influence in fall 2012. Celine offers trousers and jackets that are inspired by classic tailoring but done in a totally new presentation. I love a constructed jacket over a feminine dress like the printed silk pieces from Dries Van Noten. His garments are always unique and can be worn year after year. Everyone this season should invest in something velvet. The Row’s interpretation of this trend is understated but luxe. Their burgundy velvet tapered pant with a cozy camel cashmere sweater looks great together but each piece can work back into anyone’s existing wardrobe.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (212) 833-2068
* * *
1. Perhaps you’re going to a party and looking to turn a head or two. Nothing gets the job done like a splash of color and elegance and I have the perfect accessory. If luxury, glamour and a python fell in love and had a baby it would be the Givenchy Obsedia minaudière. Wedding on a beach? A night out in Florence? Shopping for more bags at Barneys? This bag has you covered.
2. If it’s a statement that you are trying to make why not look in to your partner’s eyes, get down on one knee, slide the Repossi Berbère ring on her finger, and say the four words she’s always wanted to hear: “I have amazing taste.”
3. Maybe you’re just trying to amp up the clothing you already own. I would suggest the Balenciaga high top . In almost every variation of these sneakers can be worn: with a suit, jeans, kilt, scuba gear, swim trunks…You get the idea.
One of the hardest things I’ve encountered working at Barneys is choosing which designers I am most excited about. It’s like a favorite song or meal, but I must. For men, I can’t help but feel the ripping gift wrap type excitement when I think of Camoshita, Alain and Boglioli. When a suit is a little too much and the t-shirt/jeans combo is not enough, these three are just right.
For the ladies, Belstaff has been injected with fashion steroids and if there was ever a reason to invest in a motorcycle the launch of this fall collection is it!
email@example.com | (212) 833- 2838
* * *
1. An equestrian touch is on trend this season and this Balenciaga boot is both edgy and classic.
2. It’s all about the peacoat this fall and this one by Belstaff was “cut with a compass rather than a ruler.” They make impeccable outerwear for both sexes.
3. Chunky but refined, modern and timeless, this bespoke bauble by Hoorsenbuhs is your signature piece for the season.
From pantsuits to pencil skirts, clean sheath dresses to military pea coats, in neutrals and the occasional unexpected pop of color, the Cedric Charlier collection satisfies the different but essential needs of any client. I’m also excited about The Row. It embodies effortless dressing: clean, precise couture pieces than can be worn as if they were casual daywear. This season’s palette features black, navy, ivory and a range of burnished browns in luxurious fabrics and superior workmanship. The silhouette is elegant, chic and uncomplicated. Never flashy, always special.
And finally, J. Mendel. The secret to the graceful exterior of a J. Mendel piece is the corseted interior architecture that flatters the figure. Any woman will feel glamorous, sexy and confident when she needs it most, whether it be in that flirty little black dress or a red carpet dazzler.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (212) 833-2535
* * *
1. I very much like this tie-waist-dress from L’Wren Scott for fall because it is true femininity and elegance. Great for any evening occasion or cocktail event.
2. This Lynn Ban black diamond propeller cuff works whether you prefer a classic look or a modern edge.
3. As always, I love Thom Browne! Calling all men who want attention! This flannel two-piece will do just that. Any hesitation? Come to me…and let me speak with you about Mr. Browne!
Fall collections across the board for both women and men are full of rich, dense colors and bright, printed fabrics. The fabrics (velvet, lace, silk—just to name a few) are alive with texture, creating the most slick garment shapes with both an edge and elegance. I am always excited about new creations from Azzedine Alaia. We have already received the most beautiful dresses, cardigans, shoes, coats and shearlings from his collection. You must have Alaia in for your fall wardrobe.
email@example.com | (212) 833-2537
* * *
1. Your new fall bags should not be under your eyes! This pre-season treatment by Révive will leave your eye area looking brighter and less lined.
2. The Derek Lam sleeveless tweed dress is the perfect transitional dress. Wear it now and years from now!
3. Long, short. Casual or chic. You’ll love the look and the story of Maiyet.
I’m thrilled to introduce my clients to our new J. Mendel collection for fall. The fit is impeccable and our selection looks great for day, cocktail and evening.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (212) 833-2150
* * *
1. This Lanvin is absolutely the most fun a dress can have!
2. This Belstaff moto is a VERY special piece, to be worn with everything from jeans to cocktail dresses. ADORE.
3. Back to a classic with Manolo Bipunta pumps.
When I think of Fall, I think of layering and luxury. I am always inspired by luxe textures and rich deep colors as they meld together like a beautiful autumnal sunset. For my working girl, I am loving the Bottega prints, Jil Sander plaids and origami sheath dresses. Also, a special shout out for Belstaff—amazing! For day or weekend looks, I am counting on Boy. by Band of Outsiders for go-to blazers and a trench. And there are always great pieces from Isabel Marant. For evening and cocktail, it’s all about Lanvin (Did anyone say ruffles?!), sophisticated Nina Ricci gowns and for ultra sexy, it’s the legend, Mr. Alaia.
And for the guys in my life, the sartorial looks of Gianluca Isaia are pure heaven. For the sporty, Michael Bastian’s plaid shirts are a must, as well as Thom Browne cashmere sweater and oxford shirts. Please also include a Belstaff jacket to pull eveything together! For evening, a deep navy tuxedo from Fendi or an amazing Made to Measure peak lapel black suit from Brioni.
email@example.com | (212) 833-2086
* * *
1. Executives that want to embody style with a minimalist appearance must have the luxurious versatile Delvaux newspaper briefcase. This accessory is a classic that will become your no-fuss staple piece season after season.
2. Want to make a statement in your home or office this season? Then the Super Impossible chair is the piece for you. A most welcoming chair with a handle on sophisticated modern design that inspires style.
3. This Boy. by Band of Outsiders cape is the ultimate statement piece for fall. Wear it during the day into evening seamlessly as it serves as versatile piece that can be dressed up or dressed down with little effort.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (212) 833-2720
* * *
1. For men this season, I absolutely adore the short suiting from Thom Browne. This two-piece is great for the guy who wants that classic look with a bit of a twist
2. I love this pair of leather leggings from The Row. They’re classic, yet the tulip hem is a bit different than what we’ve seen in past seasons. Not to mention, the midnight color is a great alternative to black.
3. A fabulous pair of earrings enhances every outfit, these teardrop earrings from Monique Péan can be worn from day to night.
I love to incorporate pieces from different designers into my clients’ wardrobes. But this season, one of my favorite stand-outs is The Row. I am also loving Balenciaga, especially the pops of color shown in their suede sleeveless dresses. The shape is very flattering on the body and the bright colors are playful. As for shoes this season, Tabitha Simmons is one of my favorites. The Kasia booties are gorgeous and they’ll spice up any outfit—a bit edgy, yet totally wearable.
email@example.com | (212) 833-2811
* * *
1. The Munnu diamond small rondelle necklace: I love over-the-top jewelry that’s quiet enough to wear every day. Jewelry is meant to be worn—not sit in a safe.
2. This Givenchy three-button coat is easily worn day or night.
3. The two-toned white and black pointed toe means this Balenciaga boot will easily go with dresses or pants. It is right on trend for fall 2012.
My clients all have individual style, but I am excited to introduce them to this season’s Celine collection. I’m crazy about Stella McCartney in general and I always incorporate Dries Van Noten and Marni into every woman’s wardrobe from season to season-the prints are timeless. Givenchy, Balenciaga and Balmain continue to be my favorites to watch. Jewelry makes every outfit. We customize Jennifer Meyer nameplate necklaces, love Renee Lewis one of a kind shakes, and Irene Neuwirth rings and bracelets make great bold statements.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (212) 833-2621