We know no one wants to see summer go but—spoiler alert—fall is coming. To help prep you (and your makeup routine) for the new season, we spoke with Barneys’ resident beauty gurus, Jason Ascher in New York and Patrick Foley in Beverly Hills, about trends, their favorite new products and essentials for fall.
Check out their recommendations below.
JASON ASCHER, NEW YORK
What are the daytime must-haves for the New York lady this fall?
- Fading post-summer glows need not require a new shade of foundation or tinted moisturizer. Chantecaille radiance gel bronzer can be added to your current shade to keep the dream of sun-kissed skin alive well into winter months.
- As summer skin-tones fade, keep the sallow at bay and the hydration intact with Tatcha deep brightening serum and gently slough away dead skin with their rice enzyme powder in three textures. All Tatcha products are free of parabens, pthalates, mineral oil, sulfates and synthetic fragrances.
- Soft, neutral eyeshadows and bolder lips are trending at The Foundation here on Madison for Fall. NARS Vent Glacé eyeshadow duo pairs a pewter-ivory with a golden-taupe that allows lip shades like Aubergine from Beauty is Life to take the lead, but it is equally complementary to softer lip looks like Chanel Charactere and Avant Garde Rouge Coco (call 212.826.8900 or your local store to order).
- Several lines have perfected truly smudge-proof eyeliner pencils. Try Bobbi Brown long-wear eye pencil (I love smoke) or YSL long-lasting eye pencil in ultramarine.
1. Tatcha deep brightening serum; 2. NARS Vent Glacé eyeshadow duo; 3. Beauty is Life lipstick in Aubergine; 4. Bobbi Brown eye pencil in Smoke; 5. Chantecaille gel bronzer; 6. Tatcha rice enzyme powder
- Chantecaille’s fall eye and cheek palette L’Elephant is a beautiful celebration of the season’s color-blocks in shades of sparkling ash, rich copper-berry and soft forest-green. Each shadow is embossed with an African elephant, with 5 percent of each sale going directly to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust to protect elephants from poaching.
- Line this look with one of Sue Devitt’s defining eyeliners in Vaasa (vivid emerald) or Oslo (rose-brown). Yves Saint Laurent completes this eye-wardrobe with its newest volume effect mascara in #19, a very wearable shimmering golden-green.
- Boldly go with Lipstick Queen’s sinner in Rust or Sue Devitt’s New York lipstick and Trinity Beach lipgloss, a perfect gloss that enhances any shade without changing it.
1. YSL volume effect mascara; 2. Lipstick Queen’s Sinner in Rust; 3. Sue Devitt Trinity Beach lipgloss; 4. L’Elephant eye and cheek palette by Chantecaille (call 212.826.8900 or your local store to order); 5. Sue Devitt defining eyeliner
What makeup and beauty trends for fall 2012 are most exciting to you?
I’m all about the non-foaming cleansers these days, so any list of top picks would have to include Tatcha cleansing oil—no need for separate eye makeup remover with this product. Makeup, city grit and SPF is broken up and rinsed away with no drying foaming ingredients and no mineral oil. Skin is left soft and balanced and no oil residue is left behind.
Chantecaille scores twice with their anti glycation primer with SPF 50 (oil-, color- and scent-free) and nano gold energizing eye cream. The latter brightens, firms and hydrates with a non-greasy serum delivered in a cooling and de-puffing rollerball. (I keep one in the fridge.)
Which new products are you looking forward to introducing to your clients?
- Foundation: Cle de Peau fluid foundation
- Tinted Moisturizer: By Terry sheer tinted moisturizer and Chantecaille Just Skin SPF 15
- Powder: Koh Gen Do and Sunday Riley 125C
- Mascara: Armani Eyes to Kill
- Blush: Hourglass gel stain in Rouge and NARS Douceur
- Shadow: Chanel eyeshadow base in beige (call 212.826.8900 or your local store to order)
- Lipstick: NARS Fabala, Chantecaille lip chic in Tea Rose, Chanel Rouge Coco Etoile (call 212.826.8900 or your local store to order)
- Gloss: Shiseido BR 302, YSL golden gloss #5, Sue Devitt Trinity Beach
- Fragrance: Bottega Veneta (call 212.826.8900 or your local store to order)
* * *
What are the daytime must-haves for the LA lady this fall?
- 3Lab’s Perfect BB cream is the perfect tint that gives coverage and never looks too made up even in the brightest of sunlight. The SPF 40 is a must-have for the Los Angeles client.
- A blush that looks like you are actually blushing and also makes the skin look luminous during the day is the Serge Lutens Blusher 2. It is the perfect peachy pink that works on all skin tones and the texture is nothing short of breathtaking.
- A powder that takes away shine but does not look heavy (and a favorite of mine) is the Koh Gen Doh premium pressed powder. It simply does the job of keeping the skin looking flawless in the bright California Sun.
- Finally, a new take on old Hollywood contour is the Kevyn Aucoin sculpting powder. Its matte finish gives you the definition needed when contouring areas like the jaw line and the plains of the cheek bones. It creates dimension and depth better that any other contour product out there, and its lightweight texture makes it look natural and not at all old fashioned.
- For night, it’s back to black! The liquid liner is the classic that is back in full force. What’s great about the liquid liner is that it continues to bring back Hollywood glamour and is easy to give a nighttime feel in a one-step process. One of the best ones out there is the By Terry Ligne Blackstar. It’s easy to use and has a long lifespan.
- L.A. women are constantly looking for the best beige lip. It is easy to see why that look is ageless, sophisticated and not intimidating. Most of my clients use NARS Buenos Aires velvet gloss lip pencil and Kevyn Aucoin lipgloss in Dahliana over it. In my opinion, there isn’t a better nude.
- For those women who feel like fall is the perfect time to do a pop of color, I recommend the Hourglass liquid lipstick. It stays on through dinner and drinks without ever looking too flat or dry. The texture is timeless.
- The last touch to enhance your night is an exclusive scent to Barneys called Aedes De Venustas. This sexy, sophisticated scent is a must-have for starlets of all ages. It is luxurious, voluptuous and addictive with notes of fresh rhubarb enhanced with vetvier from Madagascar.
- Whether you are taking your make-up off and re-doing it for night or simply getting rid of the products on the face before bed, Tatcha’s one step cleansing oil is simply the best cleanser I have ever experienced. It removes everything and calms your skin like no other cleansing product out there.The Saphir concentrate by Själ contains rare essential oils and supra-3 which delivers rapid anti-aging agents to the skin. It helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles, all while helping to plump, revitalize and bring back elasticity to the skin. Finally, an oil that does it all!
What makeup trends for fall 2012 are most exciting to you?
One trend that will be easy for the modern woman to adapt to her make-up regime is the bold stains. They give a pop of color and a wearability that is less intimidating than the same color in a lipstick formula. They’re easier to apply and are more durable. I’m excited about the Hourglass opaque rouge liquid lipstick. This sophisticated velvet matte finish gives an ageless vibrancy to almost any skin tone. It comes in 9 shades ranging from berry plums to a vibrant orange-red. What is also great about these is because of the consistency you don’t need to reapply and it does not bleed like a regular lipstick with the same tone might.
As the warm weather leaves us so will the sheer tints that have dominated the make-up market in the past months. A more sophisticated flawless complexion will dominate the fall months: neither totally matte nor dewy. It will be a classic complexion that is more matte in the center and lighter textured in other areas of the face. There are many existing make-ups from Clé de Peau’s silk cream to Armani’s luminous silk to achieve this look. As far as what’s new, I look to Yves Saint Laurent’s le teint touche eclat. It’s flawless finish and durability makes it a must-have for everyone trying to achieve a classic flawless finish to enhance the bold lip that is associated with fall.
Which new products are you looking forward to introducing to your clients?
Old Hollywood’s definition is dominating the trend for brows. One brow pencil that I feel will make the most novice make-up user a pro would be the Clé de Peau eyebrow pencil, which comes in four shades. It gives natural shading and shape to the brows. It also draws both broad and fine lines to follow the natural flow of hair. Another product that I feel is a must-have from the youngest to the most mature skin is HD perfecting powder by Chantecaille. This revolutionary powder does not build up on problem areas but gives a poreless radiant glow on all skin types. I recommend using it with their zebra printed Kabuki brush (call 310.276.4400 or your local store to order).