Photos courtesy of DLF.
Bri Emery is a blogger that barely needs introduction. Her site Design Love Fest is one of the internet’s great gold mines of inspiration, and it seems like there’s nary a Pinterest-loving gal in the world who hasn’t been influenced by her optimistic, energetic aesthetic.
This year DLF will celebrate its fifth anniversary, so what better occasion to check in Ms. Emery on the topic of her blog’s origins, current inspiration and what we might find her wearing after a night locked in Barneys New York.
What inspired you to start the blog?
I wasn’t feeling inspired at my 9-to-5 job, and I found a place online that could be an outlet for my current creative interests. I have always loved documenting my life in a diary format, so starting a blog was a natural extension of that.
How would you describe your personal aesthetic?
I love Scandinavian design, and I am truly drawn to white interiors and eclectic details.
Who are your favorite interior designers?
I do most of my interior research online. Blogs like Emmas DesignBlogg give me fresh ideas for my home and studio. Other than that, a late night Pinterest session always leaves me inspired to re-decorate.
What is the best design advice you have ever received?
Ever since I was a child, my dad has always told me two words: “think positive”. When I am starting a new business venture or worried about the future of my freelance business, I feel that positive thinking goes a long way.
What are your top five design rules to live by?
1. The impact is in the details.
2. Bring the outdoors inside with houseplants, flowers by the bedside and succulents. They all add a liveliness to the space.
3. Starting with a color story helps define your vision in all aspects of design: graphic, interior, event planning, etc.
4. Invest in impact pieces that will last you years and then mix in unique vintage or lower priced basics that you can easily swap out to update an aesthetic.
5. Don’t over think it, trust your gut.
Take us on your tour of L.A. Where must we go?
- Bar Stella for a Moscow Mule.
- Oysters and hush puppies at L&E Oyster Bar.
- Browse the beautiful blooms at Clementine Floral Works.
- Brioche and jam at Sqirl, my current favorite LA brunch spot.
- Mohawk General Store
- The Rose Bowl Flea Market for a full day of vintage hunting.
- And for a fancy date, Nobu in Malibu is magical.
If you were accidentally locked in Barneys overnight, what would we find you wearing in the morning?
I have a fancy candle obsession, so definitely the Fei De Bois candle by Diptyque. Also, this Rodin hand-cream is the best in the world. I love shift dresses, this one by Cedric Charlier is great. My Comme Des Garcons hightop sneakers are my go-to for day time, and I’d have these Chloé heels just in case I was going out that night. Under it all, I’d be wearing a vibrant bra. And I would definitely be carrying this sleek backpack.