Eyebrow expert Robert Sweet William has been shaping, tweezing and trimming the eyebrows of celebs, models and New York’s finest for over 15 years. Since 2005, he has been Barneys‘ in-house brow guru. “I can just look at your face, and automatically know what to do with you,” he affirmed when we caught up with him between appointments.
Unfortunately, not all of us have the gift of instant eyebrow appraisal, so we asked Mr. William to share a few tricks of the trade.
1. Be prepared. Start with the right tools: a good pair of tweezers, scissors, and brow powder or pencil are essentials.
2. Beware of trends. Bushy eyebrows may look great on the runway, but for real life, choose a classic shape that will stand the test of time.
3. Go straight ahead. The eyebrow hair should lay nice and flat to the skin, but do not round them. Instead, keep the thickness even and straight.
4. Step away from the tweezers. Don’t over-tweeze! A defined shape is crucial, but going overboard with tweezers can lead to barely-there brows. If you think you’ve overdone it, step away and make an appointment with a brow specialist ASAP.
5. Guy-brows need grooming too. Many men are unnecessarily tweezer-shy. Just clean up your brows and trim the long hairs. Go with the natural shape of the brow—no forced arches.
Now that you’re armed with tweezer tips and brow basics, head to Barneys’ beauty department to grab some grooming essentials.
To make an appointment with Robert Sweet William, stop by the Brow Studio on the bottom level of the Barneys Madison Avenue flagship, call 212-833-2606 or email email@example.com.