Sheryl Luke’s got style to spare—certainly too much style, anyway, for the uninspiring office job she held down several years ago. Lucky for us, Luke’s found a fashionable outlet on the web, where she writes the blog Walk in Wonderland. Chronicling her ensembles from New York to L.A., Walk in Wonderland showcases Luke’s penchant for high heels, short shorts and the always-welcome pop of neon.
The West Coast-based blogger gave us the scoop on her stellar style.
What inspired you to start the blog?
I started Walk In Wonderland three years ago. Prior to that, I was working 9-to-5 in an office, but was never fulfilled. I finally quit that job and started to devote my time to fashion blogging. I wake up everyday looking forward to it!
Which fall trends are you most excited to experiment with?
Peplums have been popping up all over the fashion world. I’d like to pair the perfect peplum with leather pants, a denim skirt or vintage cut-off shorts.
What are your five fashion rules to live by?
- Visible panty lines are an absolute no. Invest in seamless nude undergarments.
- Iron or steam your clothes. Wrinkled clothing conveys a sense of sloppiness.
- Clothes that look challenging on the hanger might look amazing on the right person. You’ll never know until you try…
- Experiment with color! I know many shy away from color, but if you add just one bright shade, you’ll definitely spice up your style.
- Accessorize! Play with at least one accessory and you are complete.
What is the best style advice you have ever received?
One should try to look pleasant and approachable, because you never know who you’ll bump into. A first impression is everything!
What is the one timeless item every woman should own?
A black blazer is the ultimate wardrobe essential. It is absolutely timeless, and it’s an extremely versatile piece that you can dress up or down. It can also add a slight touch of formality to an informal ensemble.
If you were accidentally locked in Barneys New York overnight, what would we find you wearing in the morning?
Oh, that would be a dream come true! I love shoes but always have trouble finding my size, so I would have to begin the evening on the new Perfect Pairs shoe floor. I’d pick up these ankle boots by Tabitha Simmons, so that I could comfortably dash out when the store opens. While I am there, I’d take advantage of the alone time and strut around in these python pumps by Sergio Rossi.
I’d put on the perfect LBD with just the right amount of edge, like this shift dress by Mason by Michelle Mason. Adding the perfect print to this ensemble, I’d layer on a pony hair bag by Jil Sander. I’d then saunter into the jewelry section to pick my statement jewelry, such as Givenchy’s Obsedia cuff. I’d add a pair of aviators by Oliver Peoples, and finally finish off the look with a fresh spritz of Petite Cherie Eau de so Parfum by Annick Goutal.
1. Jil Sander ponyhair and metal bar small bag 2. Mason by Michelle Mason shift dress 3. Annick Goutal Petite Cherie eau de parfum 4. Oliver Peoples Benedict 59 5. Tabitha Simmons Early boot 7. Sergio Rossi python extended back pump 6. Givenchy large Obsidia cuff